2nd March 2021

Taunton Town guaranteed fourth spot after letting victory slip against Yate Town

A late equaliser denied the Peacocks a deserved victory as they were forced to settle for a 1-1 draw with Yate Town in the Evo-Stik League at a sunny Viridor Stadium yesterday afternoon (18 April).

Sharper finishing to match some impressive approach play would undoubtedly have steered Town to a conclusive victory after they created numerous opportunities but Yate delivered a sucker punch when they drew level one minute from time.

After a fantastic run from Jamie Short had ended without the finish, Town went in front on 16 minutes when Craig Herrod tucked home the rebound after Short had seen his effort smack off the crossbar.

Herrod then picked up a loose pass to run through but Martin Horsell denied him, the referee halting play to allow treatment for the Yate keeper with Short seemingly in a position to take advantage of an unguarded net.

The Peacocks continued to be the better side after the break but just couldn’t get the final touch to extend their lead.

Owen Irish got the ball stuck between his feet with the goal beckoning (pictured) whilst a Jamie Price volley hit the post.

Lloyd Irish made a rare save when he clutched an angled shot from George Box before both sides were reduced to ten men in the 73rd minute.

A nasty challenge on Short by Tom Warren led to a fracas, the result of which saw Owen Irish and the visitor’s Josh Ford being shown a red card.

After Herrod had missed two further opportunities to give a truer reflection of Town’s performance,

Yate snatched an equaliser on 89 minutes when Jake Jackson chested down a ball into him and rifled past Irish from twelve yards.

Although disappointing to let victory slip at the death, Town can take satisfaction that they are now guaranteed to finish in fourth spot following Larkhall’s defeat at Merthyr.

Manager Leigh Robinson said:

“I thought we were excellent today and in fairness a 3-0 win wouldn’t have flattered us.

The result was always secondary to the performance today and therefore the late equaliser hasn’t dented us one bit as we have taken just as much from the game as we would have done if we’d seen it out.

Whilst the finishing could have been far better, the main thing is that we look bright and are creating plenty of chances.

We just need to make sure we are better in the final moments when it really matters next Tuesday.”