23rd February 2020

Building evacuated after hazardous material spillage in classroom in Wiveliscombe

The Fire Service were called to a report of a spillage of formaldehyde in a premise in Hartswell, Wiveliscombe at 10:36 this morning (Wednesday 29 April).

One fire appliance from Wiveliscombe, Wellington and an Environmental Protection Unit along with a supporting appliance from Taunton were mobilised to this incident.

On arrival crews confirmed the building had been evacuated and the chemical formaldehyde had been spilt within a classroom.

Safe systems of work were being set up whilst awaiting supporting appliances to attend.

The spillage was cleaned up using absorbent granules then removed from the building and into the hands of on site staff for the correct disposal.

Crews used two breathing apparatus and one positive pressure fan to ventilate the classroom.