“Spread the load” is the advice to avoid waste problems during a bumper festive season with plenty of Christmas changes to kerbside collections.
To avoid uncollected materials, residents are urged to:
- Check the changed Christmas collection dates and plan how to deal with delayed pick-ups
- Shift pre-Christmas rubbish or recycling well before the holidays or go to a recycling site
- Sort and squash dry recycling (except aerosols and glass) to get more on each truck
- Store extra rubbish or recycling for later collections, or take it all to a recycling centre
A Somerset Waste Partnership spokesperson said:
“Don’t let rubbish and recycling build up; shift it fast before Christmas – especially all that cardboard and other packaging – so you have space for festivities and fewer waste worries, especially if weather looks set to hamper collections.
“After Christmas and New Year, use the space in your boxes and bins, but either store the rest to put out over several collections or take it all to a recycling site.”
Recycling sites will be open on their usual schedules including five sites open 8am-4pm seven days a week except for the usual closures on Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day.
Nothing alters for waste collections until Christmas Day, so kerbside collections are unchanged on Monday 21, Tuesday 22, Wednesday 23 and Thursday 24 December (Christmas Eve).
But collections of rubbish and recycling will not take place on Friday 25 December, Monday 28 December, Thursday 31 December, or Friday 1 January.
Instead, the schedule will be:
- Collections due on Friday 25 December will be on Sunday 27 December
- Monday 28 collections will be on Tuesday 29
- Tuesday 29 on Wednesday 30 December
- Wednesday 30 on Thursday 31 December
- Thursday 31 on Saturday 2 January
- Friday 1 January collections will be made on Monday 4 January
Then collections in week starting Monday 4 January will be one day later, including those due on Friday 8 January being made on Saturday 9 January.
Clinical and assisted waste collections follow the same pattern, while garden waste pick-ups are suspended from Monday 28 December and resume from Monday 11 January on usual days.
All recycling and rubbish collections resume from Monday 11 January on their usual days.
All information about festive waste services – and the easy way to recycle the Christmas tree can be found on Somerset Waste Partnership’s website: www.somersetwaste.gov.uk.