30th November 2020

Man taken to hospital following early hours bungalow fire in Bishops Hull

Two fire appliances from Taunton were mobilised following a call from the occupant of a property saying that their kitchen was on fire on Shutewater Close in Bishops Hull at 02:32 this morning (Saturday).

Shortly after arriving and investigating crews located the fire in the kitchen of the bungalow, confirmed that all persons were accounted for and set to work with 2BA, 1 hose reel jet, a safety jet and thermal imaging camera.

An ambulance was also requested for the 59-year-old male occupant, suffering from smoke inhalation.

Crews administered Oxygen therapy to the gentleman until the arrival of paramedics.

At 02:57, the attendance was increased by a further fire appliance, also from Taunton, after crews confirmed the fire was under the floorboards.

BA wearers increased to 4, with 2 hose reel jets, gas monitor and small tools in use (to remove the floorboards), whilst continuing to attend to the casualty.

The fire was believed to be extinguished at 04:08 but the incident was not brought under control until 05:34.

The man was conveyed to hospital via road ambulance, as crews made the area and property safe.

The fire, which started accidentally, caused severe damage by heat and smoke to the privately owned property.