This Saturday (29th Sept) will see the start of the South Somerset Federation carnival processions as Wellington will be awash with light and colour.
Wellington Carnival starts at 7.30pm from Rockwell Green and lasts around two hours. It is expected to reach the town centre at around 8.10pm. The carnival route is just under two miles long and ends at Priory near King’s Church. Over 70 entries can be expected in the procession plus Apple FM return to the Wellington Carnival line-up for the first time in four years.
Carnival toys will once again be on sell as part of the South Somerset federation’s clamp down on pedlars. The official sellers will be placed in gazebos.
This year’s carnival circuit will be even more exciting for spectators thanks to a new app where you can vote for your favourite entries. The CarniApp can be downloaded for IOS and Android devices.
Voting will begin at 7.30pm on Saturday and will close on October 3rd.
PARKING AND ROAD INFORMATION:
• Exeter Road will be closed to traffic from 2pm until 9.30pm to enable the procession to be assembled. There will be a small diversion in place along the relief road and through Bagley Road. Local residents in Pitt Farm, and local farmers will be allowed access until the procession moves off. We will not be able allow traffic to access the funfair; you will need to find alternative ways of reaching the attraction
• A rolling shut down of the main route will be put into place from 1815hrs onwards, starting at Rockwell Green, and progressing to the end of the road closure at Cades Farm.
• No waiting cones will be placed along the route, and come into force at 5pm. Due to the high level of residents ignoring the requirement to keep the route clear, there is a likelihood of enforcement coming into play this year, especially around Mantle Street. Please remove your vehicles; it is only for a few hours once a year, and the last thing we want is for our residents to receive parking fines or have their vehicles towed away.
• Carnival marshals will allow access/egress for residents of the Longforth Estate until the procession reaches the town centre at approximately 8.15pm. Access/egress during these times will only be possible via the Taunton end of town.
• Car parks are likely to be full or overflowing, so we encourage spectators to arrive by foot if at all possible.