27th May 2020

Fire in first floor flat in Bishops Lydeard

Three fire appliances from Taunton and Wiveliscombe were mobilised to a fire in a first floor flat in Darby Way in Bishops Lydeard at 18:05 this evening (Monday) following a call from the occupant saying their kitchen was on fire.

Fire control advised the occupant to evacuate and await their arrival.

The crews from Taunton arrived on scene shortly after and two breathing apparatus wearers entered the building to investigate, they located the fire, involving a cooker and set to work extinguishing it with a hose reel jet.

They soon had the fire under control and confirmed at 18:46 that it had been extinguished.

A thermal imaging camera was then used to check for hotspots, together with a positive pressure ventilation fan, to clear the flat of smoke.

Once they made the scene safe, duty of care for the socially rented flat was left with the council.

There were no casualties and damage was minor, contained to the cooker only.