Two fire engines from Taunton were mobilised to a report of a fire in Middle Street in Taunton at 05:13 this morning (Friday).
On arrival, crews confirmed a fire in the rear garden of a ground floor flat involving fencing and down pipes.
Crews got to work extinguishing and checking surrounding flats and properties for further fire spread.
The fire, involving refuse that had spread to guttering of a property, was extinguished using one hose reel jet, two thermal imaging cameras, small tools, short extension ladder and positive pressure fans.
The cause of the fire was confirmed by the fire service as accidental.