Keeping Somerset’s beautiful coastline open for everyone to enjoy during the holidays isn’t just about footpaths and fingerposts.
The public have a huge role to play in looking after our trails and beaches, and with significant numbers expected to take ‘staycations’ this year we know that our beaches and coastal trails will see more visitors than ever.
That’s why the England Coast Path and the Somerset County Council Rights of Way Team are encouraging visitors and reminding residents how they can help to care for our coast by following the guidelines of the Countryside Code:
- Respect everyone, show consideration for those that live and work in the countryside as well as other visitors
- Protect the environment, take your litter home, clean up after your pets and make sure dogs are always under close control
- Enjoy the outdoors, check local weather conditions and tides, make sure that you are safe and well prepared when outside, and ensure that you understand where you can and cannot go.
To keep it simple we are concentrating on four key themes
- Keep it Clean – take your litter home and recycle what you can
- Leave Only Paw Prints – clean up after your dog and make sure it is always kept under close control
- Know Your Way – stay on the paths to protect farmland, livestock and wildlife and stay away from cliff edges and the base of cliffs on the beach
- Make Memories – plan your visit, check the weather and tide times, and enjoy your time on Somerset’s coast.
“We have some fantastic coastline and trails in Somerset which we can all enjoy,” said Cllr John Woodman, Somerset County Council’s Cabinet Member for Highways and Transport.
“Of course, we also welcome the many thousands of people who visit us from across the country, bringing important income for our local businesses. But whether visitor or resident, we all have a responsibility to follow these key guidelines and work together to ensure our trails and beaches are kept clean.”
With research showing that exposure to coastal environments can play a significant role in boosting our health and well-being, ensuring that our coastline remains somewhere we can all enjoy should be a focus for all of us this summer.
Learn more at: www.gov.uk/countryside-code
Follow on social media @ecpsomerset
#careforthecoast #keepitclean #leaveonlypawprints #knowyourway #makememories